April 25, 2010

Becoming a Teacher.

I will be a yoga teacher in one week, kinda'. So many things to say about this. I knew in 2006 at Burning Man that I was a yoga teacher, it came to me in a tent of 50 or so yogis practicing in the desert of Nevada. I just knew it then. It's been 3 and half years since that moment of incarnation and now, after that period of time searching, listening, practicing, procrastinating I have reached a point where I can say; I want this, and I did it, almost...

Sure, I may have been a yoga teacher all along, a Michaelangelo's 'David' so to speak, stone carved around the 'not yoga' teacher so I can envelop and embody the being of yoga teacher. And now, this week, I get to practice on real live human beings!

Starting tomorrow we will have our own clients coming into the studio to work with over a 4-day practicum period as we transfer, download and upload what we know into the consciousness of another, for the sake of healing and making a difference for them.

This yoga is a combination of traditional asana-tweaked in some cases to support the natural alignment and curvature of the spine and 'sipping breath' naturally aligns the body with therapeutic stretching and PNF (proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation) breathing to heal their aches and pains. It's the best of both worlds. I promise I'll show you. 95% of pain comes from misalignment according to Cedar Sinai Spinal Institute in Los Angeles.

It's also my final week here in Kauai. Hm. Not sure what I want to say about this whole experience so far. So much of it is touching me on a deep personal level. People in Kauai are here to do the real work on themselves. The same game I played in NJ/NY doesn't work here. I'm learning to live from my heart and the island is showing me to overcome fears and avoidances in a way I didn't expect. That's all I'll say for now, I gotta keep this post somewhat short. Tune in tomorrow for my brush with sharks and dolphins, all in the water, without a beach anywhere close by.

 -Mahalo, B.

No comments:

Post a Comment